OT- Drooling at the VW dealer today

> For me, it's only the GTI 337 that matters.  All else is dust.  What a
> car - if you can find one.  Recaros, 1.8T, 6-speed for $22
> (plus insane  markup).  Sigh

I have a 337, 2100 miles on her now.  A couple of years ago I had one of
the early Mk4's w/12v VR6.  The 337 is an IMMENSE improvement over the
standard GTI.  Though they've improved the car somewhat over the last 3
years (suspensions not quite as flaccid as they were at first, silly
standard equipment of the GLX (VR6) model moved to the options list,
etc), the 337 is still a completely different beast.  To the shock of
the entire world, VWoA actually brought over a car in euro trim,
including the MQ350 6-speed tranny that graces the Audi TT (and now the
Jetta GLI 24v VR6 and GTI VR6 as well), the TT's 12.3" brakes (and
vented 10.1" rears too), 18" BBS RC's, Michelin Pilot Sports, awesome
Recaro seats, <tasteful> aluminum.trim, Votex body kit, and true "sports
suspension" (lowered, firm, purposeful). For $22,225, it's an absolute
steal.  They ARE out there at MSRP, and not all that hard to find if
you're willing to work at it.  Many of those waiting for them are whiny
Vortex kids who are ranting "where the hell is my 337?" and backing out
of deals, or have deposits all over town and are backing out on all but
the 1st arrival.  To anyone interested - do some looking, you'll find
one w/o the hefty markup (local dealer here in my hometown is asking
+$7k - yikes!).

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA