OT- Drooling at the VW dealer today

<snip Gordon>
The 6 is heavier but I'm thinking (not driven one) either
version will feel a bit piggy compared to a 2000lb Mk I, so why fight
it? Softish sport suspension but 200hp & 6spd manual - I'm impressed
with the specs and the econobox profile is classic.
<end snip>

I'm getting in on this late, but thought I'd throw in my .02.  My wife just
bought a 2002 GTI vr6.  Relfex silver, 201hp, 6-speed manual.  She chose the
6 over the four because it's low torque and flat power curve are similar to
the RX-7 she's giving up.  It's a cool car, but don't expect it to be like
any of the A1 VWs (don't expect that of the 4 either).  It's powerful,
heavy, and surprisingly big.  When you see these things on the road, next to
all of the sedans, station wagons, pick'em up trucks, and jacked up station
wagons, they look just a tad larger than the previous generation GTIs.  But
seeing the thing parked in the garage next to my MkII, it shows it's true
size.  The thing is big, tall, and roomy.  It's more of a grand tourer now,
not the minimalist, go-kart style of Gen 1 (my personal fav GTI).  Don't get
me wrong, it's a good car.  It will outperform my 16v in almost every way,
but it bores me compared to my 'Roc.  My wife claims I am living in the past
(actually, she says that about all of us on this list).  My point:  feel
free to drool, but get your expectations ready for when you drive it.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II