Sighting/Clutch problem update

First of all, on the way home tonight I saw an RV pulling a trailer
heading north out of Beloit, WI.  On the trailer was a MkII Roc, the
front half  was painted white and the rear blue, with racing decals all
over it.  Rocs here are rare, and seeing one raced-up is even rarer!!
  It may have been the same one that was being displayed at the Chicago
Auto Show this year.....
Second and more importantly, an update on my clutch-went-pop problem.
  As you may recall, a month or so ago I was pulling up to a stop sign
with my '84, and I pushed the clutch in and the pedal went POP, straight
to the floor.  Lotsa play in the cable, nothing happenening at the
tranny.  The cable did not break, so I knew it was something internal in
the tranny (4K).  I can lift up the release lever/arm on the tranny all
the way up, which should not happen.  Here's what I did:
Pulled the green end cap of the drivers side of the tranny, and nothing
was broken.  The lever, spring and plunger were all intact, but the
plunger wasn't returning to the lever.  There was a little bit of
Redline in the hole, I don't know if it should have been dry (I had
drained the fluid).  I pulled the tranny fill plug to the right of the
end cap, and just inside there is a gear.  The gear is tipped with the
top tipped out (to the tire side), and I could wiggle it a bit with my
finger.
Whatever is wrong with my tranny is internal, be it a busted pushrod or
a punched-through pressure plate.  Looking at my tranny, there is a
section about 4 inches wide that looks to be removable from the main
body of the tranny (just below the drivers motor mount) towards the
drivers tire.  Should I pull this section and see what I can see or
should I drop the whole tranny?  A buddy of mine has a spare FF I can
swap in temporarily, but I think that if something is wrong with my car
I'll need either a new pressure plate or a new pushrod.
Any suggestions?
Oh, I need a new end cap too, I trashed mine getting it out.  Is this
Potter-able?

Nate
'81
'84