Sighting/Clutch problem update

Nate Mellom wrote:

<snip>
> Second and more importantly, an update on my clutch-went-pop problem.
>   As you may recall, a month or so ago I was pulling up to a stop sign
> with my '84, and I pushed the clutch in and the pedal went POP, straight
> to the floor.  Lotsa play in the cable, nothing happenening at the
> tranny.  The cable did not break, so I knew it was something internal in
> the tranny (4K).  I can lift up the release lever/arm on the tranny all
> the way up, which should not happen.

BTW- You _can_ pull up the level, enough to get the cable on, but you
will have a hard time pulling it up past that to the place the pedal
draws it up on a normal day.

 Here's what I did:
> Pulled the green end cap of the drivers side of the tranny, and nothing
> was broken.  The lever, spring and plunger were all intact, but the
> plunger wasn't returning to the lever.

Pushrod has made a nice round hole in the push plate on the other end.

> There was a little bit of
> Redline in the hole, I don't know if it should have been dry (I had
> drained the fluid).

It's OK, a little fluid leaks back there. Normal. It lubes the throw out
bearing.

<snip>
> Looking at my tranny, there is a
> section about 4 inches wide that looks to be removable from the main
> body of the tranny (just below the drivers motor mount) towards the
> drivers tire.  Should I pull this section

No.

> and see what I can see or should I drop the whole tranny?

Yes.

>  A buddy of mine has a spare FF I can
> swap in temporarily, but I think that if something is wrong with my car
> I'll need either a new pressure plate or a new pushrod.
> Any suggestions?
> Oh, I need a new end cap too, I trashed mine getting it out.  Is this
> Potter-able?
>
> Nate
> '81
> '84
> (Headache x2)

Nate,

Don't bother pulling the 5th gear housing it won't help any. Yes the end
cap is Potter able, and is cheap. If time is essential you can get it
local.

Bet you should get new push plate, retainer spring, and pushrod and have
them on stand by. Pull the trans w/ the spare trans available and some
locktite for the bolts as you reassemble.

I think you describe clutch rod push through, (I have no comment on the
gear thing moves around though).

GL,
TBerk