[OT] A1 cabby engine converions questions

Brian McGarvey wrote:

> Hey ya folks.
<snip>
> So this is going into an 82 Rabbit Convertable
> (aka the Topless Bunny -- lipstick Red )
>
> Here are the goals.
>
> #1 Has to be 100% reliable and drivable by my wife.. she just wants to get
> in it and it run, period.

I like the 3A (Audi 2.0 short block).

> #2 Has to be as quiet as stock

Jetex <http://www.newdimensions.com/products/page_5.html> has some
listed as performance + quite. The main point is (besides a Cat) you
will need a resonator or two to calm the noise down. Jetex says there's
isn't restrictive) to get over the restriction you usually bump up a
1/4" or so in diameter.  So, 2" or 2.25" but no larger. Dual down pipe
(cast iron is quieter than headers.) plus Cat plus resonator plus
muffler, OR- no cat plus two resonators.

> #5 looks cool. <-- this is why i was thinking the 2.0L Xflow

Xflow _is_ cool and it will need higher costs and (on the plus side) it
will usually be younger components. (This may not matter really) But, if
you have the whole donor car available you can think Electrical, Fuel,
the whole transplant. If you are just grafting in the 2.0 then new
shortblock, Dist, & Knock Sensor and reuse all the existing stuff.

> #6 Must have A/C

If you have it now, you can keep it.

> #7 Must have Cruise Control. <-- my requirement for those long trips.

I don't have a clue either way on this one. Good luck.

> #8 Easy to get parts/repair

kiss, oops, Already been said. Well, Dammit! I'm saying it again! Keep
It Simple! uh, Sam! Think Q-ship. Quiet, strong, tame, deep resource of
power but not peaky. Long gear transaxle, or a short one w/ a longer
5th.

> What options are availiable and doable.
> Basic questions would involve.
> Can CIS, CIS-E be used in a 2.0L conversion? if so which ones?

I see no reason you don't just keep the existing head & fuel system you
have and go w/ a larger block. Otherwise I'd be thinking a much more
extensive retrofit- needing that full donor car gets more important.

> What additional problems will switching to the DIgifant or Motronic for a
> new 2.0L X-flow present for installation?

For myself, if I was doing this, I'd be swapping the whole loom over
from the donor car. See how much more work it makes me think of? It can
be grafted into the existing but---

> Any out of the blue suggestions?
>
> What is installed now.
> EN code engine (1.7L?) FN tranny 90mm axles
> 16v front brakes

How did you put in the 16v brakes w/ the 90 mm trans?, don't the later
brakes go with 100 mm everything? (Hey, I don't know _everything_.)

TBerk