[OT] A1 cabby engine converions questions

--- Brian McGarvey <brianm@zbt62.eastnet.gatech.edu> wrote:
I had
> trouble keeping
> it going over 70mph on the trip up here. Im gonna fix the
> cat converter,
> and update the FI systems first. But a 2.0L was in the
> plans anyway.

Still, you should easily get over 70 mph with a stock
*freshly rebuilt* 1.7.  Investigate that more....   plugged
cat?

> Here are the goals.

> #2 Has to be as quiet as stock

I don't have any real suggestions as for exhaust other than
the stock one is too small and restrictive for a 2.0.

> #3 Needs to be a clean conversion

Leaning towards the Audi 3A...

> #4 2.0L

See #3.

> #5 looks cool. <-- this is why i was thinking the 2.0L
> Xflow

Ummm.....

#3.

#3.

> #8 Easy to get parts/repair
>
> What options are availiable and doable.

> Basic questions would involve.
> Can CIS, CIS-E be used in a 2.0L conversion? if so which
> ones?

I believe so.  I think what you're looking at is an Audi 3A
block with a 1.8 JH head.  You should be able to keep your
a/c and cruise control this way.  No, it won't look as cool
as a cross-flow, but 'tis a simpler conversion.

> What additional problems will switching to the DIgifant
> or Motronic for a
> new 2.0L X-flow present for installation?

Use the KISS principle methinks.  (Ya know, Keep It Simple,
Stupid.)   After all the headaches I've gone through with
Motronic in the last couple months, I'm not sure I would
want to convert to it when I install the 2.0 in the 'rocco.

> ANy out of the blue suggestions?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'll
need a knock sensor for the 3A/JH combo.

> What is installed now.
> EN code engine (1.7L?) FN tranny 90mm axles

Keeping the long-ratio gearbox or going with something
shorter?  I prefer the long box for those highway trips,
and the 2.0 will still give you plenty of performance.

> H&R 8v springs (will these have to be changed to 16v?)

Nope.  You're staying 8v.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace