From Subaru NewsGroup [Fwd: CAR MOD HYPES #2]

Interesting stuff, but I must disagree with several points:

The manufacturers seek low cost first. Not many low-priced cars (and face
it, our cars are not Lambos or Ferrari's) have perfect, or even good,
exhaust systems.
Factory headers cost much less to make than aftermarket.  It's called
economy of scale;  when volume goes up, cost goes down.

> > > #7 Headers/ Air Exhaust throats
> > > The stock headers of any given car must be changed before any air
intake mod
> > > installation.
> > Since factory headers cost just as much to make as aftermarket
> > "improvements," and the manufacturers all seek optimum thermodynamic
> > efficiency, on most cars there's little to gain by such "upgrades."

> > > #9 Lightened Fly Wheel
> > > A lightened fly wheel spins without losing much speed as compared to a
> > > conventional flywheel.
Uh, WHAT???!!!

> > The mass of the rotating flywheel must be overcome during acceleration.
> > The difference between "stock" and "lightened" is inconsequential
> > compared to the mass of the car.

We ain't talking about pure mass (pounds of steel) here, we talking about
rotational acceleration.  Lightening a flywhee pays BIG dividends, as many
of you have found out.  This is one area where a "free lunch" can almost be
found....

> > > #10 Strut Bars
> > > All cars must be equipped with strut bars on both fore and aft, upper
and
Change the "must" to "should".  Bars are nice, but not necessary to the
vehicle's operation.

> > > lower. It stiffens the vehicle considerably, making it more stable
when
> > > executing a tight corner.
> > If you mean X-members from the top of the shock tower to other
> > structural members, I agree that such reinforcement can be useful.
> > However, ANYTHING that stiffens the car will help keep the wheels on the
> > ground during hard acceleration or cornering.
> >
> > ******************************************************************
> > NON-HYPE - STUFF THAT "WORKS."
> >
> > Add RedLine Water Wetter (and less antifreeze) to reduce system
> > temperatures by improving water-to-metal thermal transfer.

  If the stock system is in good operating condition, and you aren't into
speed events lasting over a minute/putting out over 250HP (my estimate), you
don't need extra stuff like WW.  That's for cars with marginal cooling.

> > Replace stock suspension bushings with neoprene, though they're squeaky.

I think the author means polyurethane here.  Neoprene??  No way....even if
someone made them.

Larry sandiego16V

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!