WTF? unrecognized break-in attempt?

so i've neglected washing my car for the last couple o' months-- today i was
putting air in the tires and it looked like someone had busted the
sheetmetal beneath the passenger door handle with a screwdriver in the usual
fashion. it was *right* beneath the handle, and can only really be seen from
beneath. there's plenty of rust around the ripped metal. very strange. i
have no idea how long it's been there, or what happened. i haven't had
anything stolen from my car, though i never take my faceplate off, leave a
radar detector in the glove box, cd's, etc (yes i know i'm an idiot). i
suppose someone must have been scared off while trying to break in? guess i
got lucky and should get some armor plates now. i'm pissed, but not as
pissed as i could be....
-michael
go pats!