Tinting a Scirocco - Big PIA - Rant

--- Jeffrey Lowe <scirocco16v_1986@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had my Scirocco tinted back in September at a
> reputable tint/stereo shop and they did a half ass
> job, back window really sucked. I finally got around
> to bringing it back in to fix the rear window today,
> and they did a better job but it's still not
> perfect,
> probably never could be.
> The problem seems to be the design of older cars
> that
> do not have a place to hid the edges of the tint.
> The
> tint guys attempt to do their best and shove the
> tint
> between the rubber and glass, the problem with this
> is
> if there happens to be any dirt/dust/carpet fiber,
> whatever in that area it gets sucked up into the
> tint
> and you get bubbles or lines along the edges that
> wont
> go away.
>
> I guess I'm fortunate they where able to do the back
> window with one piece of tint. And standing back
> from
> the car you can't really see the bubbles or lines,
> but
> when you get right up to it they become a little
> more
> obvious. The tint place said they would keep trying
> until I was satisfied, but since it took them over 4
> hours to get the back window done I think screw it.
>
> To top it off, I used to tint windows for people
> back
> in Okinawa, but I didn't want to do my Roc because
> of
> the type of windows they are, that's why I took it
> supposed professionals.
>
> Later...
>
> =====
> Jeff Lowe

=========================
Perhaps this is a lost art . . .

I had my 1st '75 Scirocco tinted in Arizona about 20
years ago and they did a great job - no compaints at
all.

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)