major motor problem

Does the car smoke ay all?  If so, when...at startup, more after warm up?
 What color is the smoke?

Do the lifters tap?

The compression problem could be:
rings worn
valves not seated
valve seals worn
valve guides worn
head gasket
warped head

The reason for the oil light could be:
bad sensor
worn oil pump
wrong weight oil
low oil

Give more details and perhaps we can narrow this down.

Eric
"Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun"
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v
AOL IM:  OneSixV