self-closing vents?

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 05:37:05 -0800 "rocco16v" <rocco16v@netzero.net>
writes:
>Okay-
>    I have to acquire some first-hand knowledge of this....it's cold,
>wet,
>and dark outside at 5:05AM...I go out, fire up the '87 (w/
>AC).....heater
>control NOT defrost....turn on blower.  Plenty air coming from center
>vents.
>Move heater control to DEFROST, and the air from the center vents is
>reduced
>by 80%.
>Would have to say that, yes, my car tries to shut off the center vents
>when
>in defrost mode.
>(probably old, bad gaskets/sloppy linkage are accounting for the
>
>Larry   sandiego16V

My center vent self closes on my 82 anytime the blower is above #2 on any
control lever setting. Sometimes I can set it on #3 for a little while,
until I hit a bump that is. LOL!!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V     84' Scirocco 8V    88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR
Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!