  From: Jason Adams
  To: 0sciroccolist
  Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 11:58 AM
  Subject: 16v timing woes...

  Okay so after my rotor did the self destruct thing inside the distributer cap, and messed up the hall sender, I had to get a new unit...

  that was the easy part...

  now when I removed the old distributer I was very carefull to note how the distributer came off. When I hooked up the new unit the car ran like sh%t I was careful not to move a thing when the distributer was off so as to not disturb my timing....

  So now my timing is messed, okay, well at least it runs... Went down to the store and bought a timing gun... Followed proceedures in the Bentley, I've got the distributer cranked all the way clockwise and I can't see the timing mark... Car will run but has nothing under 2500rpm (will stall on takeoff if you don't rev it up).

  I've got nothing to loose so I advance the cam sproket one tooth (mark moved toward the front of the car), I can see the timing mark now! with the gun... Car pulls away fine now, just like before... up untill I get to about 6000 rpm then it runs out of breath. I haven't put the timing back to stock to see if that improves top end but I suspect it would... I miss seeing the revs pass 7000 :)

  Can anyone help out here...

  BTW I wouldn't recommend advancing 2 teeth as it sounds like a desel when it runs...

  jason adams

  Fahrvergnugen Forever :)

--Boundary_(ID_Iddepb8Jlr2Tzlf040Z2Dg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Umm, just taking your distributor off and putting
it back on can in no way mess with camshaft timing at all. Put the cam timing
back where it belongs and make sure the keyway mated properly with the exhaust
cam when you installed the distributor. You should be able to position the
distributor close to where the original one was and have the car run at least
decent.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Al</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=roclist@accessconsulting.ca
  href="mailto:roclist@accessconsulting.ca";>Jason Adams</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>0sciroccolist</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, February 28, 2002 11:58
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> 16v timing woes...</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT size=2>
  <P>Okay so after my rotor did the self destruct thing inside the distributer
  cap, and messed up the hall sender, I had to get a new unit...</P>
  <P>that was the easy part...</P>
  <P>now when I removed the old distributer I was very carefull to note how the
  distributer came off. When I hooked up the new unit the car ran like sh%t I
  was careful not to move a thing when the distributer was off so as to not
  disturb my timing....</P>
  <P>So now my timing is messed, okay, well at least it runs... Went down to the
  store and bought a timing gun... Followed proceedures in the Bentley, I've got
  the distributer cranked all the way clockwise and I can't see the timing
  mark... Car will run but has nothing under 2500rpm (will stall on takeoff if
  you don't rev it up). </P>
  <P>I've got nothing to loose so I advance the cam sproket one tooth (mark
  moved toward the front of the car), I can see the timing mark now! with the
  gun... Car pulls away fine now, just like before... up untill I get to about
  6000 rpm then it runs out of breath. I haven't put the timing back to stock to
  see if that improves top end but I suspect it would... I miss seeing the revs
  pass 7000 :) </P>
  <P>Can anyone help out here...</P>
  <P>BTW I wouldn't recommend advancing 2 teeth as it sounds like a desel when
  it runs...</P>
  <P>jason adams</P>
  <P>Fahrvergnugen Forever :)</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Iddepb8Jlr2Tzlf040Z2Dg)--