Why won't my fan turn on?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren R. Price" <wprice@neo.rr.com>
To: <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 9:40 AM
Subject: Why won't my fan turn on?

>  My fan will run when the defrost is on, but will not run
automatically >as it should.
 >The defrost will kick on the low speed fan, but that doesn't entirely
do >the trick (doesn't cool enough).  What I can't figure out is why the
fan >will kick on when defrost is turned on.

It sounds like your car has/had air.  VW set it up so that the defrost
setting engages the air conditioning which automatically turns on the
fan by switch rather than temp.

>There's a nasty, tired looking relay up towards the radiator that I
>suspect.  I'll have to start fiddling with it when it gets warmer
outside.

Take that nasty, tired looking relay out and see if the fan comes on if
you jump the main leads with a jumper wire.  Given how VW placed the
relay (up) to collect the most weather (what were they thinking?!?),
check the wiring as well.

Hope it works!

Erik L