mysterious thumping noise

so I finally got the hubcentric spacers out of my bbs and wheels with the help of one of the guys at work.  But on i have another problem...

When I am going down the road i have a reapeated thumping noise that increases in tempo with speed.  It sounds and if something is hitting the floor pan or bottom of the car, and if i put my hand on the floor right behind the driver seat next to the hump in kinda feels like something is hitting the floor.

Could this be the exhaust?  It just doesn't seem like it would thud at and regular beat...but maybe.  I am missing a hanger by the cat, but i zipped tied it as a temporary fix and it still makes the noise.  what else could it be?  I don't think it's related to the new wheels because it did it occasionaly with the old stock wheels.  Although it does it all the time now with the new wheels.  Any ideas?

oh, car is my 88 16v
TIA
--

Doug C.