16v Front Crank Oil Seal

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:05:44 -0700 John Erickson <hombre@elp.rr.com>
writes:
> It appears as though I have a leaking seal.   I have already got half
> the job done due to a water pump change.  Can I change the seal without

> pulling the carrier if I don't have the special tool?  I guess its not
that
> big a deal to drop the pan and pull the carrier.  I just need one more
> gasket (I have a pan gasket already).  How about that bolt on the
crank?  Is
> that going to do me in?  Any tips?
>
> John
> The Land of Lost Bolts

You don't have to pull the pan to replace the front main seal, or the
rear seal...
RTV works good for sealing the carrier...

The bolt on the crank comes off easy with a good air impact gun.

I've heard people using a long breaker bar against the ground, and then
energizing the starter for a second using the engine to break it free, if
you try this make sure you disconnect the ignition first.

Peter  http://thescirocco.com - Discount dealer - http://tttuning.com -
Peloquin - http://quaifeamerica.com/ - http://www.autotech.com/ -
http://www.magnecor.com/ - http://ronalusa.com - Bear, DE 19701
'79 Scirocco 16V, '81 Scirocco, '83 GTI,  '84.5 Scirocco
'84 GTI - SciRollers: '79 , '84 , '88
http://feedbyte.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.