Crazy Thing Happened Today

    Umm, wait a sec here. If you have no coolant flow, the best short=
 term solution is to take the
cap OFF! Yes you will boil water but as its boiling it uses its incre=
dible ammount of latent heat of
vaporization to keep the engine cool (at close to 212F). Yes you will=
 lose coolant, but in this case
its better than leaving the cap on. With the cap on, not only do you =
have no coolant flow (from the
belt failure), but the coolant is allowed to get to a higher temp bef=
ore boiling (15 psi vw cap
relief pressure). It will still boil and still escape out the cap (th=
rough relief), so you are still
losing the water either way. The only difference is that in a no-flow=
 condition, your engine gets
HOTTER with the cap on.
    Auto cooling systems are very similar to reactor cooling systems.=
 If we have a loss of cooling
circulation on the submarine, our procedure is VERY similar to 'takin=
g the cap off'. Thats not
saving your vw engine, its saving a multi-million dollar reactor that=
 happens to be pushing a
multi-billion dollar submarine through the water... So just trust me,=
 its the best thing to do.

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN  **qualified nuclear Reactor Operator*=
*
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original cl=
utch, driveshafts, wheels :)