Crazy Thing Happened Today

There I was driving down the I-5 in the fast lane when all the sudden a 2
foot long metal bar came flying at me from a semi a few car lengths ahead in
the middle lane.  I don't know if the bar came off the truck or if it just
got launched from the trucks tires but I didn't have time to avoid it and it
went under my car.  I thought everything felt ok but then I looked down and
my battery, and oxs lights were on and my temp guage was rising.  Luckily I
was right at the exit near my dad's house so I got off and headed there.  By
the time I got off the freeway my temp light was blinking at me so I turned
the heater on full blast and got the car to my dads place.  I poped the hood
and of course the coolant was boiling over, I let pressure out of the
expansion tank slowly and then proceded to check the engine.  What I found
suprised me, my v belt that runs from the engine to the water pump to the
altenator had come off and was hanging from the water pump pulley.  How it
got from between the waterpump pulley and the engine pulley is beyond me but
eventually I got it off the pully and inspected it.  There's absolutley no
gashes, scratches or anything that one would expect to see from it coming
off in that way.  And I can't figure out how it ended up between the pulleys
rather than in the freeway.  I was able to put it back on and everything
works fine now, though I haven't had a chance to do a good under the car
inspection for other damage.  All I can say is that I'm glad the belt from
the crankshaft to the camshaft is covered with a metal casing because it
would have sucked if that would have come off on the freeway.