[RE: OT? -- communter car search] - BMW 3-series

At 04:45 PM 2/21/2002, Erik LaCelle wrote:

>  And a 4-cylinder BMW other than a 2002 is utter and supreme
> > sacrilege -- so you don't want one.... especially since they are well
>known
> > for horrible head problems.
> >
> > The ever un-opinionated Jason
> >
>Thanks "un-opinionated" Jason (hey, in my book, it never hurts to speak
>one's mind (unless it's about a woman's weight))

LOL!

>Does this include the 318ti?  (See above)

Unfortunately.  I love the ti and would probably have one if BMW had
offered it with a 6-cylinder.  My aversion to the 4-cylinder goes deeper
than just the head problems; I don't like the engine to begin with -- it's
rough, loud, coarse, and gutless IMO.  The 24V E36 6-cylinder is, mind you,
nowhere near as smooth as the 12V E30 6-cylinder... but the 16V 4-cylinder
is yucky.

If you're interested in one, though, I do suggest driving one.... you might
not agree with my opinions about the engine at all...  And it might be a
good idea to check to see if there was a TU (Technical Update) version of
the engine -- generally not much time goes by before BMW recognizes - and
fixes - problems... so the later E36 might be immune...

Jason