[RE: OT? -- communter car search] - BMW 3-series

At 03:34 PM 2/21/2002, Erik LaCelle wrote:
>The E30 would be preferable (smaller size, lighter weight(?)) but harder to
>find in good condition.  I've had enough experience fixing other people's
>problems!  The E36 is a beautiful car, though.  As soon as I win the
>lottery, I'll consider the new ones....

The E30 is indeed much smaller and lighter than the E36... and yeah,
they're a bit tough to find.  Of course, the best ones (IMO) are the later
1989 and above 325i... with the updated lights, bumpers, etc.

The E30 is pretty indestructible.  Apart from people commonly learning how
much valves cost because they're too lazy to change the timing belt every
60k, the engines will last more than 200k miles with no major
problems.  The only problem areas on the car are those that are typical
BMW:  Control Arm bushings, driveshaft flex joints, tie-rod ends.  The
other one is that there are some problems with the instrument cluster on
E30s -- more often than not, you have to replace half the instrument
cluster if a light looks like it's burned out -- it's not the light, it's
the circuit board.  And the rechargeable batteries in the Inspection
computer tend to die eventually, and IIRC they can't be replaced without
soldering and generally causing a pain in your ass.

Otherwise, the E30s are solid, fast, well-balanced cars with the best
sounding engine this side of a VR6.

The E36s?  Well, you're probably asking the wrong person having just sold
mine a few months ago.  The '92s are disasters -- steer clear of them.  Not
only did the 2.5-liter 6 not have VANOS (which means it had *NO* low-end
torque), but there were lots and lots of trim and general production problems.

93s (like mine) were much better in terms of material quality and
assembly.  The 2.5 was still a pig down low even with VANOS -- and if
you're looking for an automatic, look elsewhere.  Even though they last
forever, they're dreadful transmissions.  And the stereos suck ass.  0-60
was the same as the 1992 with a 5-speed, but the auto gained almost a full
second.

1996 was a nice revision to the E36.  It got a new automatic transmission
from GM to replace the shitbox from BMW, a slight interior redesign, and a
facelift with body-colored mouldings.  And then in 1998 (IIRC) they did a
final interior update with digital climate control, etc -- and dropped the
325i in favor of the MUCH MUCH faster 328i.  (Fast as shit at high revs,
and tremendously torquey down low).

The big problems with the E36 are all engine cooling problems.  The
thermostats, radiators, and water pumps fail.  The original water pumps had
plastic impeller blades and generally didn't last more than 40k miles.  I
doubt if there are any left on the road, but if you get an E36, make sure
it has the metal water pump.  The neck on the top of the radiator is also
plastic, and they generally crack and fail suddenly at around 100k miles.

In terms of longevity, you should easily see as many miles out of an E36 as
an E30 -- i.e. millions.  They get great gas mileage on the highway (better
than the E30 -- about 30mpg with the 2.5 and an automatic), but horrendous
in the city unless you get a 5-speed.  Again, the only maintenance issues
are the BMW-typical stuff I mentioned above.  All E36s timing chains, so no
worries there.  And a 4-cylinder BMW other than a 2002 is utter and supreme
sacrilege -- so you don't want one.... especially since they are well known
for horrible head problems.

The ever un-opinionated Jason