OT? -- communter car search

--=======20715E0C=======

At 09:15 AM 2/21/02 -0800, Brad Sterling wrote:

><snip Brian>
>Here are my requirements.
>cost to get 100% on the road < $10k.
>I want a comfy car with all the bells an whistles... I prefer leather
>seats, but realistically im not going to find it. I've been looking at
>audi's on ebay. It can bur too much gas. ie. like 20mpg or better. I also
>would like a heavier car because the roads up here in the NE leave much to
>be desired. It also needs to have less than 60-80k on it. syncro or
>quattro is a nice to have option. suggestions?
><end snip>
>
>Well, since others have stepped up into the possible flame territory, I'd
>look at a Dodge Neon.  I've rented this car a few times and was reasonably
>impressed by its abilities, for a cheap car.  The pluses are you can get a
>two year old one for around $9k, parts are plentiful and reasonably cheap,
>handling is reasonably flickable, ride is reasonably smooth, it can come
>equipped with a manual tranny, the engine is no slouch, and there are
>aftermarket goo-gahs available (if you're into that sort of thing).  The
>minuses are everyone will think you're a recent college grad or a secretary,
>I don't know if a sunroof is available (this is a big deal to me), it's not
>a Scirocco, and some people still have hang-ups over owning a car with an
>American nameplate.  I can't speak to durability, since I've only been a
>renter.  Personally, I'd hold out for the '03 Neon SRT-4 with 205
>turbo-charged horses for $20k, but this won't meet your time frame or
>budget.  Anyway, my .02.  Do with it what you will.
>
>- Brad
>'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
>'76 International Scout II
I would agree with Brad here on this, assuming that you are looking towards an
American car.  My wife and her family are all Mopar nuts and the have/have had
about six neons, with no major problems to speak of.  They can also be found
dirt cheap.  My wifes winter beater(nothing wrong with it either) was
$500.  Her
dad's beater(when diesel was high for his truck) was also $500.  Granted they
have better luck and know people when it comes to Dodges.  While I have no
real interest in owning I can admit they are decent cars(exception of some of
the first year ones) and my wife's '98 RT has been reliable with no problems
with the exception of some sunroof fix that was covered under warranty.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Just rolled 100K
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.