OT? -- communter car search

<snip Brian>
Here are my requirements.
cost to get 100% on the road < $10k.
I want a comfy car with all the bells an whistles... I prefer leather
seats, but realistically im not going to find it. I've been looking at
audi's on ebay. It can bur too much gas. ie. like 20mpg or better. I also
would like a heavier car because the roads up here in the NE leave much to
be desired. It also needs to have less than 60-80k on it. syncro or
quattro is a nice to have option. suggestions?
<end snip>

Well, since others have stepped up into the possible flame territory, I'd
look at a Dodge Neon.  I've rented this car a few times and was reasonably
impressed by its abilities, for a cheap car.  The pluses are you can get a
two year old one for around $9k, parts are plentiful and reasonably cheap,
handling is reasonably flickable, ride is reasonably smooth, it can come
equipped with a manual tranny, the engine is no slouch, and there are
aftermarket goo-gahs available (if you're into that sort of thing).  The
minuses are everyone will think you're a recent college grad or a secretary,
I don't know if a sunroof is available (this is a big deal to me), it's not
a Scirocco, and some people still have hang-ups over owning a car with an
American nameplate.  I can't speak to durability, since I've only been a
renter.  Personally, I'd hold out for the '03 Neon SRT-4 with 205
turbo-charged horses for $20k, but this won't meet your time frame or
budget.  Anyway, my .02.  Do with it what you will.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II