CHP Priorities was: my turn

Then Kevin wrote:
> A lesson here for others to heed: yesterday the CHP officer we waited an hour
> for to take an accident report tried to tell us that we didn't really need
> to have a report taken at all; he said that with no injuries and all proper
> information exchanged, we could have just been on our merry way, turned the
> whole mess over to our insurance companies, and been done with it, leaving
> them to work things out.  He said that for an accident like this, they
> wouldn't even bother to get a copy of the report from the CHP.  He said he'd
> be glad to go ahead and take a report "if we wanted him to" since he was
> already there, but it really wasn't necessary.  I was buying all this
> nonsense and was about to tell him to go ahead and hit the road, when he
> turned to the girl and she basically admitted guilt.  So I turned back to
> him and said "take that report!!".. which he then did.
>
> I related this conversation to my State Farm agent this morning and she
> was furious.  She said that she hears similar stories all the time, and
> that what he said is total BS - which now makes sense to me.
> <snip>
> Moral of this story to this point - is GET A POLICE REPORT! if you are
> involved in an accident, particularly if you aren't at fault, but I'd get
> one either way just so the facts are recorded straight in the first place.
>
> Kevin Collins
> ---

Hey Kev,

Number one thing to remember about (at least California) Highway Patrol
is they are way understaffed.

I saw a documentary on how they had the same staff level as back in the
50s/60s and we all know how the population, traffic density has grown.
This means you won't see the CHP on the road doing anything else but
prioritizing on clearing the road and pulling over that driver who is
going faster than the other 80%.

This is meant to reinforce Kevin's experience; if the CHP can get back
on the road that much faster, all the better for them. Maybe not life
threaten but then again maybe not so good for you.

Perhaps better if they had some non-gun toting cleric staff who could be
dispatched for these type duties, minus the drag you jail part.

TBerk