heater control valve & Dash swap

Hey all,
     I will be replacing my heater control valve and was wondering if I could
get by without draining the system.  It appears to be high enough that I won't
lose too much coolant, but if it makes more sense to drain then I will wait to
swap the valve when I swap the radiator...

Also, I replaced the dash this weekend.  Much easier than I expected it to be,
especially with Shannon's write up (scirocco16v.com.)  Took me <4 hours
including fitting up the 3 gauge faceplate for the center console...  fairly
easy and definately worth it.

Matt
'87 16v