HP at which a 4k is too low gearing?

Steve, durability issues aside, I say that the 4k is appropriate for *any*
level of normally aspirated horsepower. Consider your desired compromise
between acceleration versus top speed. Also use the available amount of
traction to guide you through your selection of gear ratios. If you've got
175 horses at the wheels and you've got the traction to stick the torque
that the 4k's lower gearing can supply... well, go for it! If, however, your
tires just turn into smoke, then use a wider ratio box (or one that has the
same ratios but a taller ring & pinion).

I'm building the same exact motor that you've doing (plus 100 shot of
nitrous). I chose a 4k and then went wild with a 4.25 ring & pinion, a
wide-ratio 2nd gear, a .75 6th gear, and a Quaife. The final drive ratio is
about what a standard 4k will deliver. However, my gears are perfectly
spaced for intense backroad driving.

In short, consider what you want to end up with and then work backwards. If
you need more help in picking gears, I'll be happy to work with you.

Rocc on!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut