Compression

Patrick:
What are we going to do with you?

> The 16v pistons I have seen (2L block) where notched and  flat, the notch
is
> to clear the valves to prevent "knock"

The notch is not there to prevent "knock". It's there to prevent
"collision"!!!

> THe piston does not come out of the head, why? simple, piston rings, if
the
> piston head came out of the block, the rings would surely catch on the
> gasket between head/block and we all know this is not happening. it
normally
> tops at the closest edge of the topline of the block

Since the rings are typically 4-6mm down from the top of the piston it is
indeed possible for the piston to protrude from the top of the block some
small amount. The practical limitation is the compressed head gasket
thickness minus about 1mm to keep the piston from hitting the head.