CA Smog issues

Im having problems getting my 16v to pass smog.. they
think its the Cat, as ive done basic tune up
procedures to try and bring the hydro carbons down.
Going to my local exhaust shop , they quoted me $900
for the system i guess its down pipe and cat. saying
there wasnt any other way to do it , this sounds like
BS ,thats why i thought i would pester you. Anyone
have a semi cheap solution for a starving student ?

Thanks.