Front Strut Replacement Question

Ron's tips are good.
 I'd add that holding the housing in a vise (by the carrier-mount/ears) can
be safely done if you place something solid, like a socket or piece of bar
stock, that is the right thickness, between the ears.  That way you can
tightened the vise without distorting those ears.
Stuck cartridges?  heat, cool, Liquid-Wrech, heat, cool, Liquid-Wrench, etc.
until they come out.

Larry  sandiego16V

> Tosha:
>
> Some tips on the vise/channellock technique:
> -Careful when holding the strut housing by the flanges.  You can
> squeeze too tight, bending them together, and make reinstallation
> difficult.
> -If you don't have a sufficient vise/bench, try reinstalling the
> springless housing onto the hub carrier and let the car hold it for
> you.
> -Use a 2' or 3' bar on the longer (outer) arm of the big-arsed
> channellocks...save your back and get *gobs* of torque.  Works every
> time for me.
>
> G/L,
>
> Ron

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today