Front Strut Replacement Question

Or find a bigger vise.  I have occasional access to
the motor pool up here at work (parts cleaning bin,
Air tools, torches, sandblaster-  WOO HOO!) and they
have really fat vises that I was able to clamp around
the full diameter of the housing without slipping.

If'n you don't have something to hold it sufficiently,
be prepared to re-install your struts in a year when
the fasteners have wriggled themselves loose.

--- Larry <rocco16v@netzero.com> wrote:
> Ron's tips are good.
>  I'd add that holding the housing in a vise (by the
> carrier-mount/ears) can
> be safely done if you place something solid, like a
> socket or piece of bar
> stock, that is the right thickness, between the
> ears.  That way you can
> tightened the vise without distorting those ears.
> Stuck cartridges?  heat, cool, Liquid-Wrech, heat,
> cool, Liquid-Wrench, etc.
> until they come out.
>
> Larry  sandiego16V
>
> > Tosha:
> >
> > Some tips on the vise/channellock technique:
> > -Careful when holding the strut housing by the
> flanges.  You can
> > squeeze too tight, bending them together, and make
> reinstallation
> > difficult.
> > -If you don't have a sufficient vise/bench, try
> reinstalling the
> > springless housing onto the hub carrier and let
> the car hold it for
> > you.
> > -Use a 2' or 3' bar on the longer (outer) arm of
> the big-arsed
> > channellocks...save your back and get *gobs* of
> torque.  Works every
> > time for me.
> >
> > G/L,
> >
> > Ron