Ignition coil woes

Hi everyone,

     I recently installed new platinum plugs on my 87 16V.  The old F6DTC
plugs looked dark and carbon fouled which led me to check some of the other
components of the ignition system.  I recently replaced the cap and rotor on
the distributor, and the plug wires all tested fine with an ohm-meter.  The
timing was correct also.  The distributor is only a couple of years old,
with no leaks, etc...A spark test showed a orange spark instead of a healthy
blue.
     However when I tested the resistance of the coil as outlined in the
Bentley manual, I got some strange readings.  The resistance of the
secondary circuit between terminal 15 + and the center tower was 3000 ohms (
the manual says 6-8000), and the primary circuit resistance between terminal
1 - and 15 + was 1.8 ohm (the manual says .6-.8).  This is the second coil I
have put in my car.  I replaced it about a year and a half ago for not
having the correct resistance readings, although I can't remember what they
were before.
     Would having these readings cause a weak spark which could potentially
be causing my problem?  What could be causing my coil to go bad? Do these
cars have a resistor wire that goes to the coil?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron