Power loss, questionable mechanics.. WTF?

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, ATS - Patrick Bureau wrote:

> hehe , I think if you have a CAT drive it a bit, and listen to it, if it is
> RED HOT, its full, tap on it if you heard beads inside its DEAD... something
> simple to check.  and does not cost more than 1 $ of gaz.
>
> ATS - Patrick Bureau - txrocco@sbcglobal.net

Turns out it was not the cat after all, but something even more basic.

The timing (valve and ignition), as it turns out, was *not* correct -- the
mechanic claims the crankshaft sprocket was mismarked, thus they (and
presumably the VW dealer earlier this summer) had set it wrong.  The bad
timing was also the reason for the oddball compression readings -- though
one does wonder what effect that might have had on the valve train.

After this minor detail was corrected, the car immediately had more power
and acted less unhappy than before.  It's not quite to 16v performance
levels yet, but it tops out at an even 95mph instead of 70 or 80.  (You can
check for top speed on Michigan freeways, and after how much I paid those
cretins, you bet I was gonna give it a thorough test. :)

So, I counted my blessings and got the car back.  It's not perfect, but I'm
just happy to have gotten it back in one piece.  The hunt for lost power
continues!

Incidentally, has anyone else ever had or heard of a mismarked crankshaft?
One would think that'd be immediately apparent when the car was being built.
Unless there's some way for the sprocket to slip.

ian Butler
'88 Scirocco 16v / '87 Syncro GL