Temps still getting too high

I personally think all this bleeding and air bubble stuff is a waste of
time on an 8V. I don't know about 16V's but I suspect I'll find out soon
since I just bought one with a cooked engine.
As far as 8V's I've been driving them since '76, always done my own work
and NEVER once have I had to do anything other than put coolant in the
expansion tank. Hold the revs up a little until coolant comes out of the
radiator to expansion tank vent line and you're done.
What's the deal?
Dan