Temps still getting too high

peter wrote:

> [...]

As a differing opinion:

I had followed the old, old t-stat I had years ago:

There was a hole in the face of the movable part, it had in it a brass
cylinder (pellet) that was flatten on one end as if crimped with a pair
of pliers and after being inserted into the hoe the other end was also
flattened, but in a 90 degree alignment. Think of those Pixie Stix that
are made from a soda straw flattened closed on both ends or the juice
packs you see in school lunches; one end is flattened respective to 90
degrees rotated along the long axis.

In any case the pellet was inserted to limit the flow of liquid but
allow the passing of air bubbles.

Drill two holes of a size around a carpenter's pencil lead diameter (my
measuring devices are outside at the moment). Smallish is OK, but too
large means you diminish the ability of the motor to regulate it's temp
including warming up.

Other folks have stuck an aspirin or two under the wedged open plate of
the t-stat on the theory that they would dissolve after the liquid had
ben poured in, I can't recommend this one but it _sounds_, well, sound.

The acidic nature of aspirin has a skeptical nature attached to it
though. (It's just a little pellet but still).

When filling the system air likes to remain in the motor's block and can
help overheating problems due to lack of coolant on the hottest parts
inside the motor; it's top end.

Another tip is to fill via the upper hose into the block, back filing so
to speak.

Besides allowing for proper heat dumping via air pocket reduction and
radiator size you should also consider the water pumps' impellers maybe
worn and  don't flow enough liquid and/or the coating in the motor/
coolant system that can be removed with a purge// cleaning. Recent
success has been gained wit Purple Power degreaser (similar to Simple
Green) but long term affects have yet to be determined, re: rubber hose
and/or seals being stripped of softening agents). I bought some and used
in both my own 81 Roc w/ 10:1 motor AND 'my Buddy AL's' Firebird which
was suffering from the same coagulated coolant mismatch of coolant type
VWs have been known to battle.

TBerk
Ashanti's manager turns out to be my oldest sister. Who knew she'd blow
up so big after 13 years of shepherding? "You mean _that_ Ashanti?"
What ever you do, have a commitment to excellence.