Flashing Coolant Light

whew, this is gonna be painful to explain...
i fully agree that the bubble contracts as pressure rises. keep in mind that it doesnt go away fully
(the primary coolant loop of a nuclear reactor is very similar to a cars coolant system). reactors
run at about 2000 psi, and they do have a 'reservoir' so to speak, and it keeps a decent bubble even
at that pressure. now here is how we get the bubble. since our coolant systems run at saturation
(unlike a reactor, where only the reservoir runs at saturation), the majority of the boiling will
occur at the hottest point in the system (and NOT in the core, as that would be a bad thing: i.e.
chernobyl pops, anyone?). cavitation of water through the head (or the core, in the reactors case)
causes non-condensable gasses to collect (argon, etc). this eventually results in a bubble of gasses
trapped in the head. with the car off and cool, you have 2 bubbles, one in the reservoir and one in
the head. half way into warm-up the reservoir dips slightly below the trip point, resulting in the
light. once fully warmed up, cycling the ignition while coasting will clear the light (sound
familiar to those of you plagued by 'the bubble'?).

likely causes of 'the bubble':
* if you have the problem right after filling:
1. you didnt get all the air out when you filled :)
2. corrosion/blockage in head/block/radiator trapping air
* if you get it a few weeks after filling:
1. corrosion by-products in the coolant system (rust, oxidation of head)
2. combustion gasses leaking by the head gasket (this happens in every engine, seal is not perfect)
3. pure water put in system (no lubricants + high temps makes oxidation happen faster) even a cup of
antifreeze is enough to prevent this problem.

the rieger had this problem and it went away completely when i ran some purple power through the
coolant system at temperature. i think i lost 2 pounds of brownish/blackish goo out of my coolant
system when i did that.

anyhow, im on leave, enough nuclear babble for this week :)

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (dotting 'i's across the country, rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)