Rebuilding heads

--- Jorel Jackson <jorel140@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What is involved in rebuilding the heads for a 16V 1.8
> motor? I know there will be some machine shop work,
> and all the other stuff I can probably do myself. I am
> trying to fix up a shopping list of things I might
> need. Any reccomendations for machine shops would be
> useful as well. TIA

Someone just brought a 16v head (91 Passat) in for a rebuild where I
work.  This is the first watercooled VW head that we're doing a
complete rebuild on since I got the job about a month ago.

I'll ask about it tomorrow and let you know what's all involved.  I was
watching it being disassembled for a bit, and the one thing I did
notice is that a regular valve spring compressor won't work.  They used
a large drill press (not turning) with a "ring on the end of a post" in
the chuck to compress the spring.  I'm not sure what the Bentley
recommends (none of mine have 16v stuff in them).

I'll post more info about it tomorrow evening after I've had a chance
to ask some questions...

Mark.

Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca