[tech] Help diagnosing an 8V?

Michael Carlson wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply; it's been a busy day...
>
> Well, I performed the OXS control unit tests per the Bentley today.
> According to those tests, everything checks out.  (I feel like a certified
> Scirocco owner now that I've actually made and used my very on fuel pump
> relay switch.) <snip>

Yepper, Scirocco Operator Class I for sure. (Owner and Operator are two
different things.) We are all working on Master Class as there is no
defined line to cross, it's a state of continued learning and passing on
what you learned.

OT- Black Belts in Martial Arts came about because you had you White
Belt long enough to turn it black. Wasn't meant to signify _anything_.
8P

<ahem>

> I believe my thermo-time switch is broken.  I didn't get any resistance from
> it when the engine was cold, which means it's probably never turning on the
> cold start valve. <snip>

OK, no resistance in the valve itself. But is the thing getting 12v to
the heating element when cold? Other half of the test.

> Oh yeah, one more thing.  While I was scrutinizing stuff today, I discovered
> that the rubber sheath on the line between the fuel filter and the fuel
> distributor had some visible cracks in it.  Could that be letting unwanted
> air in the system, or is that rubber sheath just a protective layer for the
> fuel line?  Either way, I plan to replace it--should I go ahead and replace
> the fuel filter while I'm at it?
>
> Mike Carlson
> '84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition (slightly ill)

The cover is just a cover yer butt type of thing. It would be a good
idea to replace it with something else that was also abrasion resistant.
If it was truly cracked you'd get the ol' flammable fountain of death.
;])

TBerk