[tech] Help diagnosing an 8V?

> My guess is that the rpms drop low enough when it stumbles that the valve is
> tricked into thinking it has to compensate.  <shrug>

Mine too, but I didn't know it was that intelligent....I need to look at
the wiring diagrams of a CIS-Lambda with A/C car....

> Looks like I get to buy my first dwell meter tomorrow.  :)  (No more time to
> fool around with it tonight.)

Checker or whatever usually has voltmeters with dwell built in...good
cheap place to get them.  Plus, if you ever sell the car, I'll buy it from
you...I just keep borrowing my Dad's anchient Sears Car Analyzer...

> I didn't notice the frequency valve changing pitch.

Hmm...definately unhook the OXY and let me know what happens..

> Here's some more info:  Once the engine is warm, it starts up fine and the
> weird idle behavior disappears.  While underway, (again, once the engine is
> warm), the roughness appears to be slightly decreased but still present.

Have you done the test in Bentley for the Thermo-time switch?  Might want
to check that too....I doubt it is the problem, but might be worth
checking.

> I checked the plug wires and they all appear to be fine.  I also checked the
> condition of the spark plugs.  Plug #2 was carbon-fouled, but the other
> three had normal gray/tan colorations.  I cleaned the electrodes on #2, but
> the problem was still present.  That indicates to me that the fouled plug is
> a side-effect, rather than a cause.  According to Mr. Bentley, a
> carbon-fouled plug could be caused by too much fuel.

Oh man...now you gotta pull the injectors and check their spray
pattern...maybe number 2 is just dumping fuel....

Pretty soon I will have had you check every damn thing on this car... :-)

> Thanks again for all your help!

No problem, I mean, I am just throwing ideas out....looks like my first
hunch may have been wrong....but, when your all done here, you certainly
will know every good and bad part of your injection!

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport (400cc, 4 cyl, OHC 8v, 10k RPM redline *grin*)
80 Scirocco (FOR SALE $500)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
87 Suzuki Samurai JX Hardtop (Soon to be VW Turbo Diesel Powered)

-Kelli Fox