86 8v suspension/wheel bearings/brakes

All,
  I'm going to replace the wheel bearings on my brother-in-law's '86
8v scirocco this week sometime, along with front struts and brakes.
  I have a couple of questions:
  Will a generic "bearing puller" do the trick for extracting the
bearings from their housings in-car, or will I have to remove them
and take them to a VW mechanic to have them pressed out and
back in?
  What's the best type of tool for separating the ball joints?  Do those
forks work best, or should I get one of those three-arm bearing/gear
puller things and use that?
  Will I need any special tools to remove the strut assemblies on this
car?  I know on my 16v GTI I need a special tool to remove the top
strut nut...the scirocco is different though, right?