86 8v suspension/wheel bearings/brakes

The top strut nut can be removed using the O2 sensor tool. I got it for
$10.00 at the local parts place.

Forks are the cheaper way to get them loose, but two good heavy hammers,
banging on either side will get it loose as well..

The front bearings? Best to remove the hub, break it down and have some one
press them in. Needs about a 10 ton press!
Back bearings are easy. I used a 30mm socket to SLOWLY tap them back in.

Good luck!

Julie
>From: scirocco@splatterfish.com
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: 86 8v suspension/wheel bearings/brakes
>Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:07:29 -0400
>
>All,
>   I'm going to replace the wheel bearings on my brother-in-law's '86
>8v scirocco this week sometime, along with front struts and brakes.
>   I have a couple of questions:
>   Will a generic "bearing puller" do the trick for extracting the
>bearings from their housings in-car, or will I have to remove them
>and take them to a VW mechanic to have them pressed out and
>back in?
>   What's the best type of tool for separating the ball joints?  Do those
>forks work best, or should I get one of those three-arm bearing/gear
>puller things and use that?
>   Will I need any special tools to remove the strut assemblies on this
>car?  I know on my 16v GTI I need a special tool to remove the top
>strut nut...the scirocco is different though, right?

Julie Macfarlane
(Web Developer, Unemployed)
Albany NY
Charter Member "Scirocco Anonymous"