16V Engine sputtering after rain

--=====================_236547796==_.ALT

I had that exact problem... Tried everything and looked for wet connectors
but no luck... On cold humid mornings it would run like crap sputtering and
spitting until it finally warmed up. I Finally gave up and took it in and
the recommendation was to replace the hall sensor. Problem solved! Even
after giving the motor a steam cleaning I have no problems no.

If your hall sensor is already broken (zip tied on like a lot of 16V's are)
then it's a good time to fix. it. I ended up replacing the distributor
complete but I think there are sources for the sensor in a rebuild kit.

-Raffi

At 08:36 PM 8/4/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Wires? Check in the dark, wet wires and look for arcing.
>John
>
>DEMETRIS RAPTIS wrote:
>>i checked everything, poped the distributor cap , it's dry. checked the
>>control unit ( Jetronic box) for shorts per Bentley, it's OK. then i
>>started troubleshooting the Ox sensor. It gets 12V, it gives out anywhere
>>between .5-1.3V but when I unplug the green OX sensor wire, the engine
>>doesn't sputter. can the Ox sensor be bad? it's still putting out
>>voltage, it's heating element is good ( checked with ohmmeter).

no.<br><br>
If your hall sensor is already broken (zip tied on like a lot of 16V's
are) then it's a good time to fix. it. I ended up replacing the
distributor complete but I think there are sources for the sensor in a
rebuild kit.<br><br>
-Raffi<br><br>
At 08:36 PM 8/4/02 -0400, you wrote:<br>
and look for arcing. <br>
John <br><br>
DEMETRIS RAPTIS wrote: <br>
poped the distributor cap , it's dry. checked the control unit ( Jetronic
box) for shorts per Bentley, it's OK. then i started troubleshooting the
Ox sensor. It gets 12V, it gives out anywhere between .5-1.3V but when I
unplug the green OX sensor wire, the engine doesn't sputter. can the Ox
sensor be bad? it's still putting out voltage, it's heating element is
good ( checked with ohmmeter).</font>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:calimus@techography.net";>calimus</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:raver@prodigy.net";>DEMETRIS RAPTIS</a> ;
<dd>Sent:</b> Sunday, August 04, 2002 11:40 AM
<dd>Subject:</b> Re: 16V Engine sputtering after rain
<dd>&nbsp;<font size=2>my car sputters like that everytime I start it for
about 1 min, then the idle goes to about 2k, falls down to 4-5
hundred.&nbsp; It repeats that a few times then levels out at 950.&nbsp;
I haven't been able to figure out what the hell is causing it yet.&nbsp;
Sometimes if I manage to give it some gas and keep the r's up around 1500
for about 40 seconds she will level out just fine after that.&nbsp; When
I first got the car I had similar problems when it rained, I found that
the PO had put on the el-cheap-O autozone ditributor cap so I replaced it
with a Bosh and haven't had rain problems since.&nbsp; Let me know what
ya find out cause it's pretty embarrasing when the car sputters like that
when I fire it up while ppl are checking it out.</font>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:raver@prodigy.net";>DEMETRIS RAPTIS</a>
<dd>To:</b>
<dd>Sent:</b> Saturday, August 03, 2002 11:07 PM
<dd>Subject:</b> 16V Engine sputtering after rain
<dd>&nbsp;<font size=2>i got caught by heavy rain yesterday.Couple of hrs later i tried to start the car, it starts fine, 5-10 seconds later, the engines sputters, shakes , tried to give it throtle , nothing, but if i close the fuel enrichment switch, it idles OK. When the engine sputters , the DPR current goes to 0, the DPR measured 20 Ohms , it should be ok, idle stabilizer valve get voltage, hums.Transfer pump buzzes when turning key, main pump isn't loud.i pulled two injectors and they don't spray when cranking, i thought that was weird. The engine has the same sputter as it does when you unplug the jetronic box.It's still doing today, so if it was water that got somewhere, it should be dry. Anybody else had that happened to them?Demetri</font>