  From: Jonathan Pack
  To: Daun Yeagley
  Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:08 AM
  Subject: 16V brake question

  Hey,

  I have converted my 1984 Scirocco to the 16V brakes--10.1" rotors in front and 8.9" solid rotors
in rear.  I used a MC from a Passat 16V (which had 4-wheel disc) for increased volume.  I bought a
"pair of 16V proportioning valves" on ebay.  I have installed all this hardware, but am suffering
rear wheel lockup.  My Scirocco is lightened, with all carpet and unnecessary interior pieces
removed, but I don't feel the rear is light enough for the lack of downforce to be the reason for
the rear wheel lockup.

  On all 16V Sciroccos I have seen, I have seen only _one_ proportioning valve--on the driver side
rear line at the MC.  Why not two?  I have two, but I cannot reason it such that that is the reason
I have rear wheel lockup.

  Do you know if all the prop valves are the same?  My 1984 Scirocco came with two prop valves, but
I used the ones I bought on ebay.  Assuming the prop valves are the same, and having two doesn't
hurt anything, what are some possible causes for this lockup?  It is most noticeably the RR wheel,
but I cannot say the LR does not lock also.

  The current pads are of the "crappy, cheapest possible" nature.  I will upgrade the front only to
Mintex Red with ATE power disc rotors.  I also plan to relocate the battery to the rear for better
handling anyway.  If these strategies do not restore my braking balance, what would you siggest I
do?

  Thanks!

  Jonathan
  pack.39@osu.edu