Reconsidering...

> Get a 'roc - you won't be sorry.  Just do your homework
> first.

I don't understand this statement.  Sure, you can check all the normal
problem areas but a Scirocco, or any kind of VW for that matter, does NOT
have to cost you 3k after you buy it!!  Sure, maybe down the road after you
add up everything you have added to it or for maintenance but not right off.
If the car is running and driving and doesn't need any obvious major
repairs, then the most I would do is check tune parts, fluids, brakes,
bearings, gauges, (core support!!!) etc to make sure they are up to specs
then start upgrading or doing preventative maintenance.  If it is your first
Scirocco, or any used car for that matter, be sure to consider doing some
work yourself because you can easily spend more than the car is worth at a
shop but by finding a good parts supplier and doing work yourself you
shouldn't have to spend so much on a recently purchased used car.  Now, I
can understand buying a car dirt cheap then spending money on it because you
know it will need a lot but if your buying a car for 3-4 or 5K (USD or
Canadian) it shouldn't need another 3K on top of that.

I do know people who have spent 3K on their car in a day on upgrades, labor,
etc but it is spent mostly on things that are of taste, style, and labor.
Most of this is due to not wanting to work on the car.  I realize that not
everyone has a tire mounting machine in their garage or an alignment machine
in their backyard, but most work on VWs can be done cheap with few tools and
fewer special tools.

I have a very fast and reliable VW and by being cheap, swaping, having good
parts connections, and doing my own work, I can say that I have more than
offset any parts I have bought for my car by selling other parts from parts
cars or cool stuff I have found in yards or from friends.  It CAN be done
inexpensively and doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to maintain or fix
up!

Not flaming ya Daun, but you have to realize that not everyone wants their
VW to be a show car.  For the most part, I would say that this list
comprises of people who drive their VW (Scirocco or whatever) everyday and
just want to have a zippy good looking car with some character.  Just my
opinion!!