new 020 tranny symptoms

There should be no "slack" in the cable, the clutch arm should be able to be
lifted manually about 1/8" when at proper adjustment, which is what you may
have meant to say. Only explains the grinding into gear, not the noise when
clutch pedal is pressed. That could have something to do with trowout
bearing.

Recount for me what you have done. Did you say that the clutch was recently
replaced? Something may not be right with the install, sounds almost like
the clutch disc is not secured, or the pressure plate is not tight, parts
missing, etc.

You may need to pull the tranny out again to make sure that everything is OK
in there.

Jonas