Ball joint?

I just changed the driverside Ball joint on my 84 8v.  The one I took
out was completely worn out. If you have the new one in your hand, and
try to move it around, it is very difficult... alot of resistance. Well
the one I took off, I could move all over, I could even move it up and
down about .25-.5 inches and my car DID NOT shimmy or jerk around nor
were the tires wearing unevenly. I wouldn't be sure to blame the ball
joint. The only symptoms were that I could feel/hear knock when pulling
away from a stop and the car would not hold a line in a sweeping right
hand turn...very noticeable at 70 MPH+ and very unnerving :)

-Keith