Ball joint?

I had a similar proble on my '83 Scirocco.  Mine would
only do that jerking/shimmying when driving over 60
mph.  I tried all kinds of things like changing wheels
& tires, but that didn't help much.  I eventually
fixed it when I lowered the car.  What it was is that
the one of the bolts that holds the strut to the front
hub was so rusted that the threads of the bolt were
getting bent and mutilated.  Essentially, it meant
that the entire front wheel was shaking while driving.
 Check that out on your car.

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT
'81 Kawasaki KZ 550