[tech] which fuel pump?

Guys,

I gots a question regarding fuel pumps...or maybe two...

Car:  1981 Scirocco with 16V motor.

My fuel pump apparently is on its way out.  The other day, once the motor
was warmed up, it would studder and sounded like it was starving for fuel in
the higher rpms....today, once the motor warmed up, it just died on me.  30
minutes later, once cooled down it started.

I think that it's the fuel pump....is there a way I can check it and
determine if that's the cause of the problem?  More importantly, if I decide
to replace the fuel pump anyways, which one should I get?  The one that
belongs to the car or should I use a 16V scirocco pump?  Is there a
difference?  Can I use another fuel pump to provide more power?

TIA

Sal