tech: engine balancing - why dont our engines have balancer shafts?

AFAIK,

A balancing shaft is purely to make the engine feel smooth in the cpassanger
compartment. My Saab has 2 counter-balance shafts spinning off of the cam
belt, and yes the engine is butter smooth. As far as I'm concerned, it's
just wasted HP being sucked up by more rotating mass.

-- Craig