tech: engine balancing - why dont our engines have balancer shafts?

<< I think balance shafts and harmonic balancers are the same thing, assuming
 that is the case..>>

  Mmmm, just my limited experience, but aren't harmonic balancers attached to
the crankshaft outside the motor, such as in V-6/-8 cylinder engines, while a
balance shaft is mounted internally. In the case of your Starion, may be the
same thing (internal), just chose to call it the harmonic.

    << All I've ever heard about harmonic dampeners is that they are necessary
 in 4 cyl engines larger than about 2.4 liters to dampen vibration. >>

     Had them in both of my motorcycles, both under 1L in displacement, both
inline motors. Wound up they needed the balancing shaft, as in one book it
mentioned ditching the shaft for increased power, but had the unfortunate
drawback of oil leaks caused by the vibration.
   I'm fairly convinced that most companies building small engines like ours
have  engineered them well enough that vibration isn't such a problem.
   I know, different applications, just looking at the topic from different
angles.

Carl
77rocco
89fox