Gas tank issue

 Since this is a safety related recall VW is legally bound to honor all
 claims.

 As these cars get older you will have a harder time proving that the tank
 was not damaged by rust or accident, in which case the repair is on your
 nickel.

 I successfully pressed for a warranty replacement for my Scirocco 16V in
 2000. My car is very clean and I still had to fight a good bit with two
 different service writers and VWNA before I got them to agree that this was
 a recall issue. YMMV.

 Regards,

 Christian Els
 1987 Scirocco 16V, For Sale