Poor running 80

My 80 starts right up.  If the engine is cold, it runs fine.  As soon as
the oil temp starts to more, it sputters badly as if the timing is off.
It has headers (quite rusty) on so there is no EGR hook up.  Here's what
i tried to day
1. remove EGR valve from intake manifold and seal off hole it left. No
change
2. replace all the worn soft vacuum lines with new stuff. No change
3. bypass all the ac vacuum fitting so it is like a canadian model. no
change
4. clean ot pvc valve. no change
5. get new spark plugs (bosch). no change.  The old plugs had a gap of
about .040 and they were evenly coated with dry black stuff (not oil).
I have not been able to drive it at speed but once.

My other thought is that it is the coil.  It gets REALLY hot behind the
engine.  I think it is because of the 4 to 1 headers.  The paint on the
firewall looks cooked.  I'm thinking that when the coil gets too hot, it
stops putting out enough juice.

Any ideas?

--
Kervin