Mechanics] Ramps versus jacks.

--=======3CC55780=======

At 06:56 PM 4/10/02 -0700, Larry wrote:

>The "fork lift" buried in your driveway?! ... DO IT!
>   I've drawn out scissors and jaws-of-death-type (roller/wedge)mechanisms.
>They each have serious limitations, not in strength but in planform
>size-to-lift ratios.  Hydraulics (yes, mucho $$$) is the only thing, besides
>a long ball-screw, that can lift the weight while having a small enough
>footprint.  Either way, the mechanism must be sunken deep in the earth....
>I'd like to help you on this project. (yeah, the Meze reflects, just like he
>helped me with the alternator bracket....)  :)
>
>Larry

I believe it's SnapOn that make a portable lift ($5k comes to mind on price).
Maybe you can find a shop or dealer with one and get a good look at it to
copy it.  The shop I get my inspections done at has one and it's pretty cool.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Just rolled 100K
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.